The West Michigan Medical Assistant Registered Apprenticeship Program (MARAP) combines classroom learning, simulation learning and work experience with a participating healthcare provider.
MARAP Program Overview:
- MARAP is a one year commitment, which combines classroom learning, practicums and paid work experience. 16 hours a week in the classroom, 24 hours a week of employment as an apprentice.
- Participating employers are Spectrum Health, Cherry Health, Cancer & Hematology Centers of West Michigan and Mercy Health. Participating community colleges are Grand Rapids Community College, Muskegon Community College and Montcalm Community College.
- Graduates receive a Medical Assistant certificate of completion, a certificate of completion of apprenticeship from the US Department of Labor and qualify to earn a national industry-recognized credential.
- Other apprentice benefits:
- A progressively increasing schedule of wages is based on competency completion.
- Apprentices will receive employer contributions or scholarships to pay tuition fees for attendance at related instruction classes held in community colleges or technical colleges.
- Apprenticeships often lead to Career Pathways resulting in higher wages.
- Interested candidates must be at least 18 years old, have a high school diploma or GED (at the time of their application of interest) and be able to pass a criminal background check.
- Selected apprentices will start the program (Cohort #4) in January 2019.
MARAP Application Process: the application of interest closes on June 29th, information sessions will be held in late July/ early August, the assessment/screening process will take place August-September, followed by employer interviews and employer selection October- November. ***This is a general timeline, a detailed timeline with specific dates will be shared in the upcoming weeks. This information along with further program details will be posted on the WMW! website.
- To get started, applicants must complete an application of interest at westmiworks.org/ma, the application of interest deadline is June 29, 2018.
- Applicants will receive weekly email updates throughout the application process and should frequently check the WMW website for more information.
- Advise applicants to state on their application of interest if WMW! or a community partner agency referred them.