Come to Downtown Muskegon for a Busy, Fun-Filled Weekend Starting Summer Out Right
MUSKEGON, MI – Downtown Muskegon will be teeming with activities and events this weekend: Summer has arrived and downtown is celebrating.
No matter where you are in Downtown Muskegon Friday and Saturday June 2-3, there will be something happening that will grab your attention from family entertainment, live music, grand openings, to local food, breweries, and distilleries. This weekend is filled with exciting beginnings and plenty of the familiar.
“This is the informal kick off of the summer of 2017 in Downtown Muskegon,” said Megan Jones, Downtown Muskegon Now events and marketing coordinator. “There will be plenty of summertime events and activities starting with our June First Fridays and continuing through the season with the Mercy Health Michigan Irish Muskegon Festival in mid-September.”
Check out the full list of events happening in downtown Muskegon this Friday and Saturday:
- The First Fridays’ Street Performer series continues with entertainment and donuts along West Western Avenue from 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. on Friday.
- Parties in the Park returns this year to Hackley Park and kicks off its first event of the summer season Friday from 5pm – 9pm with the party sponsored by The Muskegon County Fair Association featuring Stolen Horses.
- Western Market pop-up shops on West Western Avenue between Second and First streets will be having a grand opening both Friday and Saturday with a ribbon cutting celebration Friday at 11 a.m.
- The Muskegon Farmer’s Market will be in full swing Saturday from 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- The Girls on the Run Celebration 5K will be held on Saturday morning from 9 a.m. – 11:30 p.m. During this time, some streets in the area will be closed to accommodate runners.
- The Muskegon Museum of Art continues showing its nationally-acclaimed historic photography exhibit “Edward S. Curtis: The North American Indian” Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Welcome the 18th Amendment Distillery and Vintage Redesigned to Downtown Muskegon. The new businesses will be having their grand opening this weekend and sharing in a “walking ribbon cutting” with the Western Market Friday at 11 a.m.
- L.C. Walker Arena will host the Fruitport High School graduation Friday at 7 p.m.
- Muskegon Community College is celebrating its new presence downtown with a Community Family Fest Saturday from noon – 3 p.m. at the MCC Fitness Center, 900 W. Western.
- Also happening Saturday is the 11th Annual Muskegon Pub Pedal. The pub pedal will be leaving the Canary at noon and eventually arriving at Dockers, right through the heart of downtown.
- The LST 393 is having two events this weekend. There will be a Swing Dance on board the 393 on the Mart Dock Friday night from 7-11 p.m. featuring the Reeths Puffer Jazz Band. The D-Day Plus 73 memorial is Saturday on board the LST at 11 a.m. with events beginning at 8 a.m.
- The Block will feature Muskegon’s Legal Rehab Saturday at 7:30 p.m. providing a mix of pop and classic rock covers.
- Hackley Library’s Saturday Movie Drive-in will be showing “The Lego Movie” for free at 2 p.m.
- Check out the new shops and food options of Midtown, three blocks south of Western Avenue along Third Street.
“Don’t tell us there is nothing going on in Downtown Muskegon,” Jones said of the coming weekend. “Come early and stay late … even with the expected crowds, plenty of nearby free parking will be available.”