Award Winning Sailor Salute Returns
NORTON SHORES, Mich., September 13, 2021 – The award winning Sailor Salute, features a salute to veterans, military, police, fire and first responders and a football game between Mona Shores High School and Zeeland West High School on Friday, September 17th, 2021.
WHAT IS SAILOR SALUTE: A community-wide salute, to pay tribute to those who serve our country and community. The event honors active duty military and their families, veterans and first responders including police, fire and emergency personnel.
All veterans, active duty personnel, police, fire and first responders are admitted free.
Since 2016, the Mona Shores football program has dedicated an evening to bring awareness to our military, police, fire, and emergency responders as a way of giving back. In 2016, the event drew national attention, and the 2017 event was recognized by Armed Forces Thanksgiving by receiving the “Thanksgiving in Action” award for recognizing our military (past, present, and future) while providing an invaluable educational opportunity for our students. Since then, the event has continued to grow
PURPOSE: The evening serves three purposes.
First, the event is meant to HONOR those who serve or have served our country in the military, in our police and fire departments, or as an emergency responder.
Second, the event is meant to EDUCATE our community of issues and needs that exist within these areas of service and remind those in attendance of the freedoms we enjoy.
Finally, the event is meant to CONNECT all of these branches of service with our community. As part of our great and proud Muskegon community, Mona Shores simply wants to celebrate such service.
WHEN: Friday, September 17, 2021 at Mona Shores High School during the football game with Zeeland West High School. Festivities and static displays open at 5:00pm. Football game starts at 7:00pm. Tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for students.
ACTIVITIES AND EVENTS:
- Prior to the game, gates to Sailor Stadium will open at 5:00 pm and all people are welcome to walk around the facility to explore and get pictures with a variety of military and emergency responder vehicles. There will be interactive displays from all branches of the military as well as Muskegon-area fire and police.
- There will be a “COMMUNITY MASS CHOIR” that will sing “God Bless America” and the “National Anthem” on the field prior to the football game. EVERYONE throughout the county is invited to be part of the choir. Show up at the Sailor Center Gymnasium at 5:15pm for rehearsal.
- A POW/MIA remembrance ceremony that includes a moment of silence and the playing of “Taps.”
- Mona Shores High School will host a VIP food tent for veterans, military and first responders.
- The football teams will participate in a special meet and greet with all veterans, military, police, fire and first responder just prior to the game.
- Hundreds of members of various motorcycle groups who support veterans, will parade to the football facility and set their bikes up in the main parking lot.
- The Hooligan Flight Team will make a number of passes over Sailor Stadium in conjunction with the national anthem.
- Several new military enlistees will participate in the Oath of Enlistment ceremony.
- During the game there will also be a “MINUTE OF CHANGE” to raise funds for local veterans’ organizations.
- Cheerleaders from both Zeeland West and Mona Shores will knock out 22 pushups in observance of the 1 Tribe Foundation’s effort to create a community that raises awareness and combats suicide by empowering veterans, first responders, medical frontline workers and their families through traditional and non-traditional therapies..
FOOTBALL GAME: The Mona Shores Sailors will host the Zeeland West High School. Sailor Stadium is at 1121 Seminole Rd. Norton Shores, MI 49441. It’s a huge OK Green matchup as both programs have won multiple state championships. While Mona Shores is the defending conference champion, Zeeland West won the 2016 Sailor Salute game, 32-28. Game tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for students. ALL current and former military, police, fire, and emergency responders are granted free admission if they are in uniform or have representative dress of servitude.
PARKING: Parking will be available on school grounds – including the practice football field area behind the East Lot. Overflow parking will be at our soccer complex, Fairway Farms, and our neighboring churches.
HOW CAN I PARTICIPATE? Members of the public – young, old, whether or not they are affiliated with Mona Shores or Zeeland West – are welcome to take part in all activities. All information can be found on the Mona Shores Athletics Facebook Page.
For more information please follow us on Facebook at Sailor Salute 2019 or contact Mona Shores Director of Athletics, Todd Conrad at email@example.com or call 231-332-8312.