The Muskegon Lakeshore Chamber of Commerce is proud to offer its membership advocacy staff dedicated to working with local, state and federal elected officials to influence pro-business policies that impact your bottom line. Having a voice and influence in the government is essential to successful business in Muskegon and is the top priority of the advocacy staff. Every Chamber member is encouraged to stay up to date on current legislation and Chamber support on varying issues.
The Chamber's Government Affairs Committee is working on advocacy priorities for 2015. They need to know what you believe are the most important issues for the Chamber to focus on. Please click here to weigh in. (Survey should take less than 10 minutes to complete)
Click here to view the 2014 Business-Friendly Voting Guide including the candidate star ratings.
As a member of the Chamber, Advocacy Center resources are included in the cost of your membership investment. Here are some of the resources you can begin taking advantage of immediately:
• Action eAlerts – Email updates on the hottest community and legislative issues alerting members to take action
• Face time with Elected Officials – Invites to exclusive meetings with policy makers
• Research and Issue Support – Assistance with issue research, scheduling stakeholder meetings, legislation and ordinance evaluation etc.
• Member Issue Forums – Access to informational presentations about relevant policy issues
• Facebook and Twitter – Regular updates and information regarding advocacy efforts, initiatives, resources, forums and feedback
• Taskforce Participation – Gauges interest on specific issues and invites participation in discussion about the topic
• Muskegon Business Political Action Committee – Donations supporting pro-business state candidates and issue education campaigns
• Priority Setting – Gauges member business interests on specific issues that set the Chamber's legislative agenda
2014 West Michigan Policy Forum
The 2014 West Michigan Policy Forum will be held Sunday evening, September 28 and all day Monday, September 29 at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel in downtown Grand Rapids.
You are invited to join the conversation as the WMPF engages more than 500 business and policy leaders from throughout the state to discuss our policy priorities and innovative new pro-business policies that can help continue driving Michigan's resurgence.
Your participation and voice is critical to continuing the momentum in Michigan.
Register and get agenda updates at www.wmpolicyforum.com/events.
Workforce Development Resurfaces as Number One Advocacy Priority
Each year members are surveyed to determine the business issues most important to our business community. The priorities determined by the survey results guide the chamber positions and Government Affairs Committee activities throughout the year. Here are the top priority issues for 2014:
2014 - Top Priority Issues
1. Attracting/Retaining an educated workforce - 96%
2. Developing educated/qualified workers - 95%
3. Promote Muskegon Co. as a place to live - 94%
4. Cost of health care - 93%
5. Health care access, utilization & disease prevention - 88%
Click here for complete survey results. Thank you to everyone who took the time to take the survey!
Here is a list of the chamber positions taken in recent years. Items in bold are still considered active and need your support. Items italicized were successful and are moving forward towards completion or implementation.
CONTACT YOUR LOCAL OFFICIALS:
Before an election, the Government Affairs Committee takes the time to interview candidates to provide a star rating based on how the candidate views and intends to act upon the issues that impact businesses in Muskegon. These star rating serves as a quick resource to Chamber members as they prepare to vote. Click here to view the 2014 Candidate Star Ratings.
For those members that have ever pondered the idea of running for an elected position, a Candidate School event is offered periodically to give an overview of the ins and outs of the entire process. Local officials are invited to offer their own insights of the rewards and responsibilities of running and the local issues are presented.
The Chamber Government Affairs Committee recognizes the individuals and government entities who demonstrate a commitment to excellence and process improvement in ease of use, customer service, effective communication, building partnerships and commitment to economic development. Nominations for GEE! Awards are accepted year round. Click here for a nomination form.
Find out how the Muskegon Lakeshore Chamber of Commerce could benefit you.